Podhikizhi belong to a group of Ayurvedic treatments of high repute called Sweda. This is a type of Swedana Chikitsa (fomentation) wherein medicated powders are made into poultice and used for giving fomentation. Drugs like vacha, sarshapam, jatamamsi, methika, shatapushpa, kushtam etc. are made into fine powder, fried and tied in cloth pieces in the form of boluses. These are made hot frequently throughout the procedure. The person is made to sit on the droni(special table for massage). He is then given fomentation with simultaneous massage using this poultice. Application of medicated oil prior to fomentation is not mandatory here. Person is given hot water bath after the procedure.
• certain types of neurological conditions
• certain conditions in Arthritis caused due to block of Vata by kapha.
• Over weight and obesity
• some types of acute pains like sciatica, lumbago etc
• Rheumatic disorders, paralysis, Spondylosis etc
• Muscular sprain and stiffness can also be prevented using Sweda and the treatment is found to tone up the musculature
TIP OF THE DAY
Wash your face with water many times a day to remove dirt and grime, prevent the occurrence of pimples and acne and get a refreshed feeling